john 15: abide (restful surrender)

This whole chapter is so full of rich promises stemming from challenges Jesus is giving to his disciples. It's not "don't do this or that", or "do this because I said so"--it's "Do this, know this, react in this way, because it is the way of the father, it is what I myself have followed and modeled for you, and because it is the way of fruit, of joy, of love, of peace (even in the midst of hatred), and of truth. It's what I've called you to, and it's worth it."

It's hard to believe, from this side of the first Easter, that by this point, Jesus knows he is headed to the cross. More than likely, he was struggling himself to believe the words which he was saying. But John has made Jesus' devotion to the father's will the clearest message to both follower and opponent alike. It is a beautiful example to follow, and his words here highlight, for me, a simplicity that we often miss.

We are (I am) so quick to jump headfirst into dogmatism and ritual over the imperative "abide." But when you look at the objects of the command, the place of abiding we are called to, it cannot be another work on our Christian to-do list. We're called to abide IN JESUS and IN JESUS' LOVE. A person and his heart. There isn't a formula for this. There's a relationship, an intimacy, a friendship. "No longer do I call you slaves," he says, "but I have called you friends." A slave is told what to do, insider to outsider. A friend is an insider, who is a part of the plan. Stop asking how. Seek his presence. Spend time with him. Take moments with him. 

And this will change everything. You will no longer look like the world, therefore, you'll no longer be acceptable in their eyes. Rejoice in this fact. Keep loving and keep bearing witness--"Keep doing what I have done. And keep listening to all that the Spirit recalls to your mind about me--that you may continue to hear my words and "may not fall away" (16.1), even as hatred crosses the line into persecution, just as it soon will for Me." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want from me?

Lent is: leaning in.

Return {velvet ashes link up}